Saturday, April 25, 2009

Little children, love another.

I don't understand the love of my Savior. 

#1. I can and do love my roommates readily because they are my roommates. I'd do most anything for them. 

#2. I can and do love my friends, as long as it doesnt interfere with #1

#3. I can love and sometimes do love those not in #1 or #2. 


On Wednesday at Crusade, Jamey hit it on the head - I look around and say to myself "gee Brendan, living by #1 and #2 is ahead of most people. You're doing great!" Sadly though, I find that in the absence of perceived love returned, I stop serving/giving joyfully, but out of precedent and that "well I should do this" part of the noggin. 

Christ died for all. Knowing that some would ignore it, He still died. Those whom He loved as friends were died for as much as those who scoffed at Him. Returned love was not a requirement for the pouring out of His own love.  (but even as I type this... what about when he went to Nazareth and was rejected?)

I heard a pastor say once that when the "disciple whom Jesus loved" (John) was very old and brought to the congregation to teach, he would speak of love (1 John anyone?). He would say something like "Little children (John was older than everyone), if we love one another, we are doing something right" (dont hold me to that quote, but same idea). 

What does it look like to "love another" as John speaks? I think of this: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. " There is a heirarchy there:

1) God
2) Others (not just friends... see the parable of the good Samaritan)
2 (not a typo)) self 

How is love shown? Time, money, prayers, quality time, service... As we give these things on (and dare I say, "as we love...") ourselves - we are to the same for others. Quite the calling indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. so true, and such a challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's as if college group was made to follow this =)

    ReplyDelete