Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rock Bible Church - 10-31-2010

Hello!

It's been a bit of a busy week, but I wanted to take a moment and talk a bit about the songs from this past Sunday.

Holy Is The Lord by Chris Tomlin - His anthem is rising up from our lips and our hearts: "Holy Is the Lord, God almighty". The earth, His creation, is full of His glory!

Forever by Chris Tomlin - The Lord is faithful. Psalm 136 lists many of the ways the Lord was good to the people of Israel and after each one, they proclaim "His love endures forever" (depending on the translation). I recognize that this song (and Holy Is the Lord) are sung often by churches around the country and I don't want to overplay them, but there is a powerful reason these songs are so common. They are so straight to the point with praise of the Lord and His kindness and holiness. (Related to this: I wrote earlier (here) about the need for these songs and for more metaphorical, imagery driven songs.)

Wholly Yours by David Crowder - I try not to say this about every song, but this one is truly one of my favorites. Great chorus, so honest and so praise-ful! "You are holy, holy / All heaven cries "holy, holy God!" / You are holy, holy / I want to be holy like You are." The last line may seem a little odd or out of place, but the bridge drives it home. Consider the bridge an extension of the chorus like this: "I want to be holy like You are. But the harder I try, the more clearly can I, see the depth of our fall and the weight of it all. So this might could be the most impossible thing: your grandness is me, making me clean!" What a great confession! "Lord, I try so hard to be holy like You, but I always find myself more fallen and more burdened. I truly could never reach You by my own works or strength. But what grace and kindness: You see my sin, yet love me! You see my sin, yet You have made my heart Your dwelling place, perfecting it - making it holy. Glory, glory, halleluiah...." Amen.

The Solid Rock - Hebrews chapter 6 begins to detail that Christ is the perfect High Priest. He is "anchor of the soul" (Hebrews 6:19). That on our behalf, as a high priest does but once and for all, Christ entered the Holy of Holies behind the veil - where the presence of God dwelt. In addition to this great biblical truth, this song also touches on the vision and heart that the Lord gave Scott when steering him to start Rock Bible Church. In Matthew 7:24-27, Christ talks about the importance of a firm foundation on the solid rock verses a weak foundation of sand. Christ is our solid rock and all other ground is sinking sand. Amen. (again).

Center by Charlie Hall - Colossians 1:17 says that Christ holds all things together. This is right after Paul says that all things were made by, for and through Christ. This song is a great prayer to Lord, that we might fix our eyes upon Him and place Him, rightfully, at the center of our lives. I hope that as we sing to the Lord the words of this song, that we internalize them as well. Be encouraged that "everything was made in Him". Be strengthened that he "holds everything together"!

....I hope you're able to join us this Sunday as we explore Genesis 3. 5pm at Centerpointe.

Blessings!




No comments:

Post a Comment